BACKGROUND INFORMATION ON THE EU-PROJECT QLECTIVES:
What is QLectives?
QLectives is a new project bringing together top social modelers, peer-to-peer engineers and physicists to design and deploy next generation self-organising socially intelligent information systems. The project aims to combine three recent trends within information systems:
- Social networks - in which people link to others over the Internet to gain value and facilitate collaboration (think of Facebook)
- Peer production - in which people collectively produce informational products and experiences without traditional hierarchies or market incentives (think Wikipedia)
- Peer-to-Peer systems - in which software clients running on user machines distribute media and other information without a central server or administrative control (think of BitTorrent)
QLectves aims to bring these together to form Quality Collectives, i.e. functional decentralised communities that self-organise and self-maintain for the benefit of the people who comprise them. We aim to generate theory at the social level, design algorithms and deploy prototypes targeted towards two application domains:
- QMedia - an interactive peer-to-peer media distribution system (including live streaming), providing fully distributed social filtering and recommendation for quality (think of social television 2.0)
- QScience - a distributed platform for scientists allowing them to locate or form new communities and quality reviewing mechanisms, which are transparent and promote quality (think of Slashdot for any particular discipline or sub-discipline)
The approach of the QLectives project is unique in that it brings together a highly inter-disciplinary team applied to specific real world problems. We aim to apply a scientific approach to our designs by formulating theories, applying them to real systems and then performing detailed measurements of system and user behaviour to validate or modify our theories if necessary. Our two applications will be based on two existing user communities comprising several thousand people - so-called "Living Labs". For QMedia we will use the tribler.org media sharing community. For QScience we will use the EconoPhysics community.
QLectives is a 7 million Euro four years project, started in March 2008, funded by the EU under the FP7 FET programme.
People currently working on QLectives
Everyone in the Tribler team supports QLectives through their innovative P2P research and engineering. The following people are devoted full-time to the QLectives objectives:
- Adele Lu Jia (PhD student)
- Mihai Capota (PhD student)
- Rameez Rahman (PhD student)
- Boudewijn Schoon (scientific programmer)
- Niels Zeilmaker (PhD student)
- TamÃ¡s VinkÃ³ (postdoc)