Bandwidth as a Currency
status: detailing work plan
The goal is to create a self-organising market for Internet bandwith.
Initial usage is performance and privacy enhancement.
- The user interface of Tribler indicates the current bandwith balance, shown as download strength.
- Every peer can boost bandwidth balance by activating the improve button.
- In improve mode a peer contacts the special [Swarm_FFFF]
- In this swarm the bandwidth offering peers advertise them selves
- incoming requests are honored if and only if the requester has sufficient social capital advertised through BarterCast
- succesfull transfers are propagated using BarterCast to the cloud
- as a reward for service the reputation of the donating peer is improved
- The bandwith market is implemented as special swarm FFFF
- Every peer who recently used improve mode is advertising this in BuddyCast6
- Such peer must remain in contact with swarm FFFF
- Upon request using a PEX message peer shall return valid online swarm peers
- Freshly installed peers or recently online peers can hence find the market by engaging in BuddyCast6 message exchanges
- Peers can improve download and privacy by consuming bandwidth off the market
- By using IP-prefix based selection a peer can choose a nearby peer for consuming bandwidth
- This nearby peer is requested to download Bittorrent pieces using tit-4-tat machanism
- Completed pieces at send at full speed to the requestor
- By repeating the above most download links can be saturated
- Consumed bandwidth accounting info is propagated using BarterCast